LKC Technologies Knows Electrophysiology
- LKC was originally founded as a technology transfer from the Wilmer Eye Institute of Johns Hopkins University and the Wills Eye Institute in Philadelphia.
- LKC introduced the first commercial visual electrophysiology device in 1976.
- Introduced the first automated flash protocol.
- Introduced the industry’s smallest, lightest, and most quiet ultra-sensitive signal acquisition amplifier, the UBA-4204 Digital Biomedical Amplifier. The UBA was the industry’s first fiber optic amplifier that converted analog signals to digital signals producing clear signals.
- Migration from Xenon based flash stimulation to high brightness color LED flash stimulation products.
- Introduced the RETeval® device in 2013, the first hand-held, battery powered, portable, non-invasive, fully ISCEV-compliant ERG device for use on dilated or non-dilated eyes.
- LKC’s diagnostic solutions can be found in over 60 countries worldwide, being used for human clinical and research purposes, as well as for basic and pre-clinical animal model research.
- LKC holds six patents for its product line and has three additional patents pending.
- LKC has received four Small Business Innovative Research (SBIR) Grants from the National Institutes of Health.
- LKC is FDA registered as a medical device establishment with 510(k) clearances on its products. LKC maintains equivalent certifications and device clearances as necessary in various countries including, but not limited to; Canada, China, South Korea, Japan, and Australia and the European Union.
- LKC is ISO 13485:2003/2012 certified and maintains a Device Category IIa CE Certificate (BSi International) as well as a CB certificate (Metlabs/Intertek). See more on LKC’s certifications here.
An ERG test provides easy and reliable guidance for medical professionals to understand and assess functional changes that may impact a patient’s vision by evaluating the retina’s response to light. Whether the device is UTAS or RETeval, an ERG helps doctors obtain objective, functional information. While fundus photography and OCT scans provide information on what is captured in their field of view, LKC’s full-field flash ERGs provide a massed response of retinal function well beyond what imaging can see, assisting in a more effective diagnosis.
If you have ever referred a patient out for and ERG or VEP testing, it is likely that an LKC UTAS system was used. If you’ve ever taken a prescribed drug, its pre-clinical or clinical trials probably included ERG testing done with an LKC UTAS device. If your dog will someday need cataracts removed, the veterinary Ophthalmologist will probably use the LKC RETevet device to assess retinal function before recommending cataract removal.
LKC products are used worldwide in offices, clinics, large practices, hospitals, universities, and now with the introduction of RETeval, literally anywhere the patient (human or animal) meets their care – and every location is supported by LKC’s experienced customer support staff. LKC is truly your trusted partner for electrophysiology testing.